Truer Than Fiction

My not-so-eventful, everyday life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States

Monday, March 13, 2006

Awesome Saturday

This past weekend was great. Since the girls were going to go out for a dinner theater experience on Saturday night, the guys decided that we would get together and do our own thing. The rest of my team at work was out of town on Friday, so I decided to go down to Ryan and Phil's office a day early, work from there for the remainder of the day, and spend the night at their place. It ended up being pretty quiet on the work front. Ryan apparently spilled some water in his keyboard and shorted out his "x" key, so we went driving around to like five different places to find a replacement. We eventually found one at Office Depot.

Once we made it back to the office, we decided to go and grab dinner at Quizno's. The prime rib sub is awesome. You should get it. From Quizno's we headed back to their place. Steve met up with us there, and we watched some Star Trek and Family Guy episodes that they had recorded. Unfortunately, Matt McHugh wasn't feeling well and couldn't make it, so we ended up being one guy short for the weekend. We went to bed around midnight since we had to get up pretty early for paintball on Saturday.

I used to play paintball a bunch with friends in high school, but once I graduated I didn't really have the time or the money to keep up with the hobby. Our time playing on Saturday definitely brought back some fun memories. We ended up playing for most of the day for around $50 a person. All of the games we played were attack and defend. One team would attack the other and try to take their flag while the other team defended it. They had a variety of courses, and we played on Castle, Compound, Village, Rock Garden, and one last one that I can't remember the name of, which had the attacking team pushing up a big hill to try and take a flag. The defending teams always won in a complete slaughter on that course.

The highlight of the day for me took place when I was on the attacking team on Rock Garden. We had slowly made our way up the left flank of the defending team, whittling down their defenses and trying to sneak up to the flag from behind. I had stealthily crept along the back border of the course to an opposing team member who was busy holding off a frontal assault. I got up to within ten feet of him and demanded his surrender. He, instead, spun around in an attempt to catch me off guard. I was ready for this and took him out with one shot to center mass.

I had a couple of teammates coming up behind me, and one of them began firing. Apparently I had missed another defender over to my right (it turned out it was the father of the guy I shot). One of my teammates was eliminated quickly. I spun around to try and help my remaining teammate. I crouched, brought up my gun, pulled the trigger...

*CLICK*

Crap! My gun hadn't recocked itself after my last shot. I frantically reached for the hammer to pull it back, but I wasn't fast enough. My game ended when the guy put a ball directly in my left eye on my mask. We ended up losing that round, but we got a lot closer to capturing their flag than they did when they were the attacking team.

Once we were done with paintball, we headed back to Ryan's place to shower. Phil called Bobby, and when he arrived we all went to Sweetwater Tavern. I was pretty starved after the day's activities and ordered a drunken ribeye. Man, that was one of the best steaks I've ever had. I definitely need to go back to that place sometime with Courtney. We had a great time eating and talking, and our waitress was phenomenal with the service. She got a very hefty tip at the end of the night.

So, that pretty much brought to a close a great guy's day out. I hope that we can do it again sometime in the summer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim H. said...

Yeah the Sweetwater Tavern was awesome. There's a place near my mom's house called Mike's, its in the same family of restaurants. Similar amazingly awesome food, different atmosphere. Overall I like the atmosphere at Mike's better - fake "western" setups always strike me as cheesy. But who cares when the food rocks :).

But yeah, if you and C are ever down near Alexandria/Springfield.. we'll have to hit up Mikes :).

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home