Truer Than Fiction

My not-so-eventful, everyday life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States

Thursday, May 11, 2006

MI:3

Last weekend Courtney indulged me by going to see Mission Impossible: 3 with me. I didn't have super high expectations for this movie, but there's no way it could have been worse than MI:2 so I decided to give it a shot. I was right. This movie is definitely a lot more enjoyable than the second film, however, it still doesn't live up to the first.

For some reason, either because they don't want to or because the writers are just inept, they have yet to capture the cerebral feel of the first movie. In the first film it was about brains more than firepower. The first movie made you think. I had to see it a few times before I understood it all and caught all the nuances. Call me crazy, but isn't that something you'd want as a writer/director? You want people to see your movie over and over and tell their friends to see it, not just see it once and forget about it.

Anyway, suffice it to say that MI:3 is not as smart as MI, but it's light years beyond MI:2, which was just John Woo filming stuff blowing up. Tom Cruise gives a pretty good performance, but the real star of this show is Philip Seymour Hoffman. He's by far the best bad guy of any of the films and is quite scary in a psychological sense. He definitely steals any scene he is in.

The plot of the movie was pretty good, though I was kind of disappointed that they don't tell you what it is that they were all after at the end. I guess it's left as an exercise for the viewer? Whatever. There were a couple of minor twists that I didn't really see coming, but wasn't particularly surprised about either. It's not The Usual Suspects, but then, it's not trying to be.

If you're a fan of action/spy movies I recommend that you check this movie out. It won't really make the wheels turn in your head, but it's a fun experience. For others, Hoffman's performance alone is worth the price of admission. So if you're a fan of his, then you should definitely see this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home